We’re switching gears this episode and getting into the ins and outs of labour law, featuring Lindsay Lawrence!
Topics: workplace harassment and #MeToo; unpaid internships; and random drug testing
Full Episode (32:25) Download
1. #MeToo and the Scope of Workplace Harassment (11:24) Download
– British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal v. Schrenk, 2017 SCC 62
– The Changing Workplaces Review – An Agenda for Workplace Rights (May 2017)
– Bill 132, Sexual Violence and Harassment Action Plan Act (Supporting Survivors and Challenging Sexual Violence and Harassment), 2016
2. When is an Unpaid Intern an Employee? (10:09) Download
– $7M class action lawsuit filed against S-Trip student travel firm
– Are Unpaid Internships Legal in Ontario?
3. Random Drug Testing at Work (11:50) Download
– Suncor Energy Inc v Unifor Local 707A, 2017 ABCA 313
– Unifor, Local 707A v Suncor Energy Inc, 2018 ABCA 75
About the Guest:
Lindsay Lawrence is a labour lawyer in Goldblatt Partners’ Toronto office. She has a busy litigation practice representing a wide variety of trade unions, in both the private and public sectors, with a particular focus on unions whose members work in the construction, manufacturing and telecommunications industries, as well in schools and universities.
Lindsay’s practice focuses on grievance arbitration and proceedings before the Ontario Labour Relations Board. In addition to her grievance arbitration and labour board work, she represents clients in proceedings before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario and before the Ontario courts. She provides practical, strategic and effective advice on all labour law matters, including the acquisition and preservation of bargaining rights, unfair labour practice complaints, collective bargaining, contract interpretation, harassment and human rights complaints, and discipline and discharge.