On this episode, we’re speaking about commercial law with Monique Jilesen, one of the top 50 trial lawyers in the country!
Topics: third-party litigation funding; summary judgement procedures; the development of the duty of good faith.
Full Episode (34:20) Download
1. Third Party Litigation Funding (11:30) Download
– Bayens v. Kinross Gold Corporation, 2014 ONCA 901
– Arrangement relatif à 9354-9186 Québec inc. (Bluberi Gaming Technologies Inc.) -and- Ernst & Young Inc., 2018 QCCS 104
2. Summary Judgement Motion (11:24) Download
– Hryniak v. Mauldin, 2014 SCC 7
– Butera v. Chown, Cairns LLP, 2017 ONCA 783
– Consolidated Practice Direction for Civil Actions, Applications, Motions and Procedural Matters in the Toronto Region
About the Guest:
Monique Jilesen is a partner at Lenczner Slaght and acts as litigation counsel in complex proceedings from inception through trial. She focuses on class actions, contract and shareholder disputes, civil fraud cases, injunctions, bankruptcy and insolvency matters, and securities and derivatives cases. Monique’s clients include major financial institutions, pharmaceutical companies, technology companies, and other multinational corporations who routinely face challenging, cross-border disputes. She appears at all levels of Court and in administrative tribunals. Monique has a record of success at trial in ‘bet the company’ disputes.
Monique is widely recognized as leading counsel. Benchmark Canada has identified her as one of Canada’s top 50 trial lawyers and Lexpert has identified her as one of the leading 500 lawyers in Canada. The Advocates’ Society awarded her the Douglas K. Laidlaw for Excellence in Advocacy.
Monique is a member of the Toronto Commercial List Users’ Committee, an Executive Member of the Advocates’ Society Commercial List Practice Group and the past chair of the Gale Cup Moot. She is a regular speaker on various topics, including expert evidence, class proceedings, and injunction advocacy. She also teaches in the Intensive Trial Advocacy Program at Osgoode Hall Law School.