In this bonus episode, we speak about lifelong learning and professional development with Gina Alexandris, certified coach and long-serving education advocate.
We discuss the specific tactics that incoming lawyers need before entering the workforce as well as skill development tools that are applicable for all legal professionals.
NOTE: While the episode preview above is available for everyone, the full ~120 minute version of this bonus episode is available exclusively for members of the Lawyered Patreon community. If you want to hear all of our bonus episodes (and unlock more bonus content), check out our Patreon page HERE!
In the full episode, you’ll hear Gina discuss a number of topics, including:
🔵 What does professional development look like, beyond the basic regulatory requirements?
🔵 What enhancements can law schools incorporate to make their curricula more responsive to the practice of law?
🔵 What do law students (and junior lawyers) need to know about the business of law?
🔵 How does emotional intelligence practically accelerate career progress?
🔵 How can a lawyer organically develop a mentor-mentee relationship?
🔵 What does it look like to have a curiosity mindset?
Resources Cited in the Podcast Episode
- LSO CPD Eligible Activities
- Aaron Baer: 4l Academy, Build Your Book and Authentic Lawyer Summit
- “EQ Over IQ: Building Emotional Intelligence“, Dina Eisenberg and Darlene Tonelli (Apr 2020)
- 2022 LawPro Annual Report (Causes of Loss, pg 9)
- “The Litigator and Mental Health“, Chief Justice George R. Strathy’s (May 4, 2022)
- “Wait, What?: And Life’s Other Essential Questions“, James E. Ryan
- “Emotionally Intelligent Lawyers“, Esperanza Franco
- “The Flourishing Lawyer“, Heidi K. Brown
- Daniel Goleman Blog
- “Information about the E!-i 2.0“, The Emotional Intelligence Training Company
- “Emotional Intelligence: the essential skill for the workplace and life“, Mahwash Khan (LawPro), Oct 15, 2020
- “Emotional Intelligence and Lawyers – an Old New Frontier“, Gina Alexandris (Law Practice Today), Oct 12, 2028,
- “Emotional Intelligence for Lawyers with Gina Alexandris“, The Joyful Practice for Women Lawyers, Oct 26, 2022
About the Guest:
Over the years, within her own coaching practice and through her formal roles, Gina has supported thousands of students, lawyers at various stages and professionals in other industries in their journey of transformation and development. Gina is currently a Certified Career Coach and Professional Development Consultant. Previous to this, she was a Senior Director, Law Practice Program, and Special Advisor, Law School at Toronto Metropolitan (formerly Ryerson) University. She was the Director of Strategic Planning with the Legal Services Division at the Ministry of the Attorney General; Director of the Internationally Trained Lawyers Program at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law; and Assistant Dean and Director of Career Services at Osgoode Hall Law School.
Gina graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School, holds a Master of Education in Adult Education from OISE and a Certificate of Completion for the Art and Practice of Leadership Development Program at the Harvard Kennedy School. In 2017, Gina completed the Coaching Program from the international Co-Active Training Institute (CTI).